Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

my relationship with patterned paper

**warning! long, long, long post***


I started stamping in 2002, after going to a Stampin' Up party. I bought a few things, had some fun, and then stopped playing. In 2003, I was introduced to Creative Memories and started scrapbooking. My first complete project? My brother and sister-in-law's wedding scrapbook. I know, I know...all those memories, something that should be so beautiful...my FIRST scrapbook? I thought I was a lot better than I was. I eventually made a scrapbook (ready to fill-in with pictures) for their first baby. They've since had 3 more and I think I gave my SIL the bug...she's doing their scrapbooks now :)


So anyway. When I started scrapbooking, it was all about cardstock, in all shapes and colors. In my first pages, I had hot pink backgrounds with photos framed in yellow and blue and purple and green...all topped off, of course, with stickers. I've always been a fan of embellishments, but I've never been terribly good at them.  In my most creative scrapbook page (from 2004), I used different colored cardstock to create a camping "scene", complete with tent and river and trees. It's extremely indicative of what scrapbooking was like back then, and SO not my style today. But I'm still surprisingly proud of that page.


Fast-forward a few years, and the discovery of patterned paper. Beautiful, colorful, inspirational patterned paper. Think of all the gorgeous layouts I could make with this paper! I want to say that I collected it, but in truth? I hoarded. I would buy stacks of paper on sale, even if I didn't love it, because by God, I might need it someday! Paper packs? Yes please! Page kits? Bring 'em on!  And do you know what I made with all that paper?


Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I went on scrapbooking hiatus for awhile. I was 22, unmarried, no kids, and had just moved to a new town where I knew almost no-one. No scrap-worthy events for me!


So here I am today. 28. Married. Still no kids. But lots and lots of pictures. I hopped back on the scrapbooking train about 3 years ago (after I started dating my husband), because his cousin's wife (they live down the street from us) is a scrapbooker too. So we had something to bond over. I have an extra-large stash (hoard) of patterned papers, the majority of which I just don't like anymore. I have new tastes, new styles, and there are SO many amazing new products on the market, I wanted to trash everything I have and start from scratch.


But I couldn't. Can you imagine how many hundreds of dollars I spent on all of this stuff? How can I justify doing that?


Over the last 3 years, I've pruned my stash. I've set aside what I love, and recycled or given away what I truly didn't like anymore. Everytime I purge, I become more realistic about what I'll actually use; like all those baby papers I bought for my nephew's scrapbook? Sure, I want babies eventually, and I'll want baby papers...but realistically, I will want (NEED) new stuff, things that are more my style. 


So that brings me to today. Still a large amount of paper I'm slowly working my way through. And a new challenge:


Shimelle's Pretty Paper Party.


A month of prompts to help me use my pretty patterned paper. I'm SO excited about this, I can barely contain myself!


Projects coming soon. I'll do my best to post daily so you can see my creations as they come out of my brain (realistically, out of Shimelle's brain first) and onto paper. Pretty, patterned paper :)

No comments:

Post a Comment