Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pretty Paper Party - Prompts 1 & 2



Monday and Tuesday were days 1 and 2 of the Pretty Paper Party.
Shimelle has become my hero. I'm in awe of this woman. 


Prompt 1 had us using strips of patterned paper to make up some sort of design element on the page. Prompt 2 challenged us to use a whole sheet of patterned paper to make up the background - and go from there.


I ended up using these prompts to complete a 2-page layout I'd been meaning to do. The pictures are from a concert I attended with my cousin and some friends this summer. Page 1 has some pictures of me posing for the camera in some MySpace-worthy self-portraits, showing off my fancy hat. Page 2 has pictures from the pre-concert margaritas, and of course the concert itself!


Page 1 / Prompt 1: For this I used some plain kraft cardstock, but I used my Hero Arts Designer Woodgrain stamp to create a background of sorts. I inked it with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. You'll see that it's a little uneven; I was going for a weathered wood look, so this was fine with me. If you want a more perfect stamped image, make sure to press firmly and evenly ALL OVER the stamp before you pull it up. The paper strips all come from Basic Grey's Curio collection, which is probably my all-time favorite paper line. And a quick look at Two Peas in a Bucket shows me that it's 50% off right now, so I'm probably going to have to stock up!


I'm still working on my embellishment/finishing skills, but I wrapped up this page with some (older) sparkly turquoise American Crafts Thickers, some rosettes (I made these by hand using my Martha Stewart Crafts scoring board), butterflies, and some tissue tape from Tim Holtz.



On day 2, I put the same patterned papers to use, to tie the pages together. Again, I stamped some kraft cardstock with the woodgrain design, this time very intentionally leaving things light, so I could still journal over the top. I used more rosettes, some of the sticker die-cuts from the Curio collection, and a sticker border strip. The letter stickers are old old old old chipboard letter stickers from Basic Grey in chocolate chip. I wouldn't even know where to find them anymore :)






We should be getting another prompt sometime today - hopefully I'll get some time to make more crafty things today!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment